Is your marriage sustainable? Your question doesn’t provide enough details for me to give you an up or down vote on filing for divorce, but I can give you seven things to think about.
1. What was your life like before this disability? Has your wife ever worked? Is she still perhaps dealing with the trauma of your new circumstances and needs time to adapt.
2. Have you spoken to her in clear terms about the need for her to bring in money if you two are to survive? Are you planning on making money in a new way – given your limitations? Are there other streams of income coming to you guys?
3. Was she a smothering type before this happened? Have you communicated to her your need for space? Maybe she thinks you crave this right now? Maybe she is unaware of the extent to which she hovers around you and just needs to be reminded of your needs and reality.
4. Do you have children? If so, how would divorcing impact them? If you don’t, does your disability preclude children the future? Has that been brought up?
5. What sort of friends and family support are you both receiving individually and as a couple? Are you able to process these questions and many more with someone you trust and respect?
6. Are you looking to substantiate and validate for yourself reasons why you should be allowed to file for divorce?
7. Are you looking to substantiate and validate for yourself reasons why you should not be allowed to file for divorce?
Good luck, buddy. You have a great deal to sift through…